Thursday 28 May 2015

The pain I live with everyday …

I suffer with regular chronic widespread pain and a heightened painful response to pressure. I am so tired always that it’s very difficult for me to write this blog even. I am suffering from Fibromyalgia. I can’t imagine anyone relishing the idea of being tired, in pain, or suffering from “brain fog”, which is cognitive dysfunction, for one day, let alone for months or years. If you have fibromyalgia, this is what you experience on a regular basis. Yet there are people who believe that fibromyalgia doesn’t exist – that it’s a made-up disease with the purpose of appeasing patients, giving their complaints a name. Sometimes the degree of tiredness is so much that my other normal activities are affected, sleep disturbance, difficulty in swallowing, bowel and bladder abnormalities, numbness and tingling and joint stiffness.

I’ve been asked what it’s like to have fibromyalgia and, just as it’s difficult to diagnose, it’s difficult to explain. Although I was only diagnosed a few years ago, I can trace the symptoms to my teens. I often experienced unexplained bouts of exhaustion and pain. I never slept well. I had other fibromyalgia-related physical issues, but no one could figure out what was wrong. After a while, I began to believe that it was all in my head. I knew I felt the pain, but there was no explanation. I knew I was exhausted, but everyone is tired – why would I be any different?  I thought I was overplaying them, complaining too much, imagining them, and looking for attention.

My friends and family are wonderful. They made believe I am a Princess, a princess from fairy tale the princess and the pea. I too believed she also had fibromyalgia. They tolerated my quirks, such as the hypersensitivity that results in a very strong startle reflex and not being able to stand the feel of certain things against my skin.

This is why many people with fibromyalgia don’t speak out, but it’s acceptable to brush off, deny, or criticize a claim that you have fibromyalgia.

Living with any invisible illness can be difficult. Living with one that still is not accepted by many is so much harder.

But I felt elated when I spoke to medical experts at Finishproblems.com. Their experience was evident when they understood my pain. After their counseling and alternative medicine, I am living a better life with a satisfaction that someone is there to understand my pain. Thank you finishproblems.com!

No comments :

Post a Comment